The overwhelming benefits of strawberries are justified by its juicy, texture and delicious sweet or sour taste. That is why strawberries are called the “Queen of Fruits’. The bright red colored heart shaped dotted strawberry fruit not create attraction and nostalgia but offers tremendous health benefits.
The family of strawberries
Believe it or not, strawberries belong to the Rosaceae family, a herbaceous plant with around 600 varieties worldwide. This family not only includes flowers such as the rose, but also other fruits including peaches, raspberries, plums, apricots. The heart shaped red colored fruit symbolizes the sign of love. Additionally, did you know the super benefits of strawberries to the well -being of the heart? Let us find out why?
Nutritional benefits of strawberries
Strawberries are rich in nutrients. The fruit provides plenty of carbohydrate, protein and fiber. The fat content is mostly of Omega 3 and 6, usually known as the good fat. The benefits of strawberries are also because of potassium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus contents in addition to vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Strawberries consist of 91% water and only 50 Kcalories in 150g fresh weight. Strawberries have a low hypoglycemic index.
Medicinal benefits of Strawberries
Besides nutrients and minerals, strawberries have plenty of essential plant compounds. These include Anthocyanins, Ellagic acid, Ellagitannins, Pelargonidin, Procyanidins, quercetin, and kaempferol. These have antioxidant and therapeutic properties that make strawberry one of world’s healthiest fruit.
Why are strawberries red in color?
The red color of strawberries is due to the anthocyanin. There are 25 kinds of anthocyanin that give fruits the bright red color. The color of strawberries that make food appealing is due to the presence of Pelargonidin a kind of anthocyanin. As the fruit ripens the anthocyanin content rises up. It is not only attractive for its color and shape the benefits of strawberries are reflected in controlling a number of common diseases.
10 Health Benefits of strawberries
The rich nutritional properties and the medicinal components give strawberries the protection to health by controlling a number of diseases. Here are some 10 benefits of strawberries to human health.
1) Heart Disease- lower cholesterol and blood pressure, good for ischemic heart disease
2) Blood pressure- regulates blood pressure by neutralizing the effect of sodium.
3) Diabetes-Prevents rise of blood sugar and insulin
4) Prevent Stroke by thinning blood
5) Constipation- helps bowel movement due to high fiber
6) Pregnancy –folic acid in strawberry helps protect infant
7) Depression- folate in strawberries prevents formation of depressing agents
8) Allergy and asthma-helps overcome running nose due to high Vitamin C
9) Cancer- free radicals are absorbed by antioxidants in strawberries
10) Skin and Hair care- strawberry extracts are used for skin and hair
Finding out the many benefits of strawberries and delicious taste a glass a day will certainly keep you healthier and happier! No wonder strawberries are super fruits!